I know it is often tempting to set your intentions for your business based on your excitement for the New Year! And that is awesome – I definitely don’t want to squash that feeling.
But there is also this thing that happens where we set intentions out of fear, or disgruntlement, or a driving determination to get something done at all costs.
Either way, it’s too easy to miss the most important part of intention setting – going back and figuring out what exactly happened this past year. Which, I know, sounds like the opposite of intention setting. I mean, why not just burn whatever happened this past year and MOVE ON already? (Especially if you didn’t meet the goals you set for yourself.)
Because it’s almost impossible to actually learn anything without going back over it. AND, ignoring the past year makes it harder to set even better and more enlivening goals for ourselves this year.
Stick with me here! Seriously.
I know this going-back process can sound grueling and like an exercise in self-shame if you didn’t meet your goals from last year. But that is definitely NOT the point here.
And going back over it is not just an exercise for if you didn’t meet your goals. This process is EQUALLY as important if you did make great progress on your goals!
The point is that there are always reasons for everything. If we can get beyond our self-congratulation (which I actually quite love) and beyond our self-flagellation (ick) and start to understand the actual, down-in-the-dirt reasons that things did or didn’t get done, then we can see how to adjust ourselves and get better results this year!
This is one of the most freeing exercises ever.
So, I hope you’ll take the time to go back, find out what happened last year (whether you loved the year, or not so much) and then move forward in the strength of knowing where you’re at.
See you in 2017!
- Isabel Spradlin has owned her full-time practice since 2007. She has a deep drive to help other massage therapists and bodyworkers to create thriving businesses for themselves. For comprehensive programs to help you do just that, see the 'Programs' tab in the menu.
- UncategorizedMarch 26, 2020Possible unemployment benefits
- Business PlanningNovember 1, 2019Podcast Episode: Going into biz with others
- Business GrowthOctober 26, 2019New Podcast Episode: Sales and Your Massage Practice
- Business ObstaclesOctober 21, 2019Don’t let your insecurities mess with your practice!